I Like Speed Cameras
I like speed cameras, really, I do. This page gives my opinions on why
speed cameras are a good thing. My other page
here is about bad statistics and
the horrendous abuse of them by the National Safety Camera Partnership.
- You're supposed to be able to stop in half the distance you can see. If
you can't get down to the speed limit in the distance between you seeing a
bright orange thing and getting to it, you're driving much too fast.
- 90% of drivers think their driving is better than average. Shows how much
we can trust their judgement.
- Speed Cameras enforce the law, which is never a bad thing. If you think
the law is a bad law complain to parliment.
- A whole class of dangerous drivers will get to learn to love public
transport. This may help improve the state of our public transport and our
- Driving quickly becomes very expensive, thus improving the relative
speed of trains compared to cars.
- Cars are noisy. The faster a car travels the louder it gets. Making the
travel more slowly makes for quieter living for everyone who lives on or near
a main road.
One thought I've had, why don't we abolish speed limits but make colliding a
crime. Something like 5-20 years in prison for each collision, even if not
fatal. Afterall, if you weren't driving too fast you wouldn't have hit
it. I don't think this is a desirable solution, but it does seem to be
the extreme position that the anti camera & speed limit people should