Homepage of Pete Stevens
Welcome, you've found my homepage, I hope it was the one you were looking for. From here you can see...
- An e-card for Jeremy Paxman,
because he can't read the source he'll probably never find out just how
many insults are in one page.
- Student loan calculator it's a simple
implementation to work out roughly how much you'd have to pay each year
on the various UK student loan schemes with some compensation for
- Clamav Broke My Mail Server here's how to
do an easy upgrade to 0.95 on Debian.
- Sympathy Man Page, a temporary home so people
who can't access man on a machine that runs sympathy can see the man
- iTunes is rubbish. This suprised me which is
probably a demonstration of the effectiveness of marketing.
- Greenland isn't going to melt as fast as
people tell you. It may still melt. But almost certainly not in your
- Have I Got More Lies For You more truthful
- Ride the Dragon I've completed the
Lon Las Cymru cycle ride from Cardiff to Holyhead. Here's my thoughts and
- Software RAID on RHEL I set this up
for a customer of Hypertag. Here's how
to do software raid across two IDE disks, so that your computer continues to
work if you break one of them. I've even simulated the drive failure and the
- MySQL - the database with a sense of adventure
- The Upside-Down-Ternet Securing your
wireless in an alternative fashion
- Tomcat Virtual Hosting. Use Tomcat ?
Confused by questions such as 'How do I do virtual hosting' and 'Why I can't I
make the bloody thing act like a webserver rather than an appliction server?'.
Find (some) of the answers here. It helps if you've read and followed the Tomcat Setup
- Giant Risk. How to be an evil dictator and in
my case, watch the world get conquered by Matt
- Running I go running. Here's some of my routes
and timing data for runs that I've done.
- Java on a Virtual Linux Server Bizarrely, the
easiest way to run a Java web application on a shared server, is to make the
server virtually lots of other servers. This means the best way to run a Java
Virtual Machine is inside a Virtual Linux machine. This is a guide on how to
do it from a reputable Virtual Server provider.
- Niggles General computer and administration
- Java Niggles A small collection of things
that confused me or took a while to solve while running Java.
- How to steal a bicycle, or adventures
with an unresponsive police force.
- Mobile Phone Marketing Tool, perhaps
I should have patented this. It's a tool for widespread text message marketing
at no cost to the marketeer. Of course it's illegal too.
- Speed Camera Policy is Fucked
My prophetic prediction that regression to the mean is going to bite the safety camera partnerships in the
- English Democrat Party An email from the chairman
about which comment is unnecessary.
- pete _at_ ex-parrot.com <- That's my
email address. It's helpful if you want to email me.
- ID Cards comparing two front page articles from
the BBC website.
- Speed Cameras Revisted, another
page about speed cameras demonstrating that despite the full revealling of
accident statistics by the Cambridge Evening News you still can't conclude
- Not very good at Statistics, a
page detailling just how messed up all the statistics presented by the
National Safety Camera Partnership are.
- I Like Speed Cameras, a page which
explains why I think speed cameras are a good idea even if the safety evidence
in favour is a load of rubbish.
- Speed Cameras, more pointless
revelations, yet another
page about speed cameras provding some more pointless rubbish that sounds good
for the various sides of the debate, which in common with all the other
statistics is complete rubbish.
- Why do they always pick on me? It seems
that airport security have a thing for picking on me and I'm sure
it's not just because I have long hair.
- Guide on running a sucessful student band.
- Guide to concert venues I've been to around the
- Cycle trips I been on or alternately a short guide
to missing signs and poor navigation in East Anglia.
- Palm Pilot Software currently containing Palm Pilot
Dice - a GPL'd Yahtzee clone.
- Guide on being a sucessful DJ.
- Copy Control the bizarre discovery of audio
cd 'copy control' technology which forced me to copy the disk before I could
- Unintelligent Finance How my bank removed and replaced
£200 from my account and have hidden all the evidence of this taking
place. Additionally my general ranting about crap companies
- My CV It's useful for people who want to give me a job or laugh about how little I know. It's also useful for identifying me and checking I am the person you thought I was.
- Rapunzel the Rich Bimbo, a short story written by my brother David Stevens for their comedy society. It's reproduced here for no good reason.
- A Java Bat 'n' Ball Applet. It's a keyboard controlled bat 'n' ball game that a few people have played and enjoyed. I'm not giving out the source for it because it was the first java program I ever wrote. I wrote it with the intention of teaching me Java, it actually taught me that I didn't understand object orientation. I'm glad to say that I now do but I keep this around for sentimental reasons.
- The frequency response of broken speakers. I have no idea why I put this on the web, I have even less idea why it's one of my more popular pages. Since then the woofers have died and the speakers have finally been retired.
- Mythic Beasts Limited. It's a small shell account hosting company. I'm one of the directors of the company and one day it might turn in to something impressive. Get your Linux Shell account, Linux Virtual Dedicated Server, co-location or Mac Mini co-location here.
- Love Letter. I was sent this while working as a tour guide at Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope and I still have no idea who sent it.
- Photos from my sisters 18th birthday family thing.
- Cats it's a traditional web thing. They're a bit
larger than this now but I'm too lazy to update the page.